Announcing Our Next Upcoming Event: “A Taste of Ethiopia”
The Corvallis Sister Cities Association-Gondar Council invites you for a traditional Ethiopian dinner and special presentation by our Corvallis students and delegates who recently traveled to Gondar, Corvallis’ sister city in Ethiopia.
Also available for purchase during the dinner are a selection of items brought directly from Gondar, children’s books, written in both English and Amharic, and published by Open Hearts Big Dreams, an organization committed to increasing reading in Ethiopia, and a number of items imported from the Saba Kaign Cooperative, an Ethiopian women’s collective.
Date: January 26, 2020| 5:00 – 8:00 PM PST
Location of “A Taste of Ethiopia”: First United Congregational Church of Christ,
4515 SW West Hills Road, Corvallis, Oregon
Tickets can be obtained at Grass Roots Bookstore or on-line by clicking here.
Our Current Mission:
Citizens and city officials from both Corvallis and Gondar have worked jointly to identify mutual goals, which have formed the basis for the Corvallis Sister Cities Association-Gondar’s (CSCA-Gondar) work plan. To date, efforts have focused on the following:
- Access to clean drinking water through drilling of wells.
- Restoration and rehabilitation of Gondar’s watershed area with extensive tree planting.
- Establishment of a revolving loan program in a rural kebele to provide more opportunities for income generation by the residents.
- Development of a culture of readers with partial funding in a 3-year librarian and literacy training program serving 46 schools in Gondar.
- Improvement in children’s learning through usage of classroom materials and professional development of teachers.
- Computer literacy for faculty and students with the creation of a computer classroom, installation of computers, and internet access.
We invite you to learn more about our activities and to become involved with our efforts!
Our Most Recent Work: