May is Sister Cites Month in Corvallis! Every year the Mayor issues a proclamation officially declaring May as the month to celebrate our unique connections between Gondar, Ethiopia, Uzhhorod, Ukraine, and the city of Corvallis.
The Corvallis Sister Cities Association was established in 1991 after Corvallis citizens identified Uzhhorod, Ukraine as a desirable sister city because of its similarity to Corvallis. In 2004 Citizens identified Gondar, Ethiopia as a desired second Sister City and in April of 2005 it was approved by the Corvallis City Council. The CSCA Board and both Councils are driven by its citizen volunteers and sustains and facilitates relationships with the Mayors and citizens of Gondar, Uzhhorod, and Corvallis. The mission of the Uzhhorod and Gondar Councils is the development and enrichment of relationships between the citizens and organizations of Corvallis, Uzhhorod, and Gondar.
Please look for our window displays around town during the month of May. Displays will be located at Footwise on Madison street Citizens Bank on 3rd street. We hope that you can join us at one our events this year.
- May 1st: Sister Cites Month begins!
- May 6th: Uzhorrod Flower Basket Sale: Central Park, Corvallis.
- May 12th: Farmers Market Information Booth: 9:am – 1:pm. Corvallis Farmers Market Downtown Waterfront, Corvallis. Stop by to learn more about our sister cites and to sample free Ethiopian coffee and Ukrainian Chocolate!
- May 16th: Talk for Water: 4:pm 193 Burt Hall OSU. “The 3rd annual Talk for Water will focus on Ethiopia’s efforts to build a massive hydroelectric dam on the Nile River, and how downstream nations like Egypt and Sudan have responded.” If they want more, we can add: “Presenters include Professor Aaron Wolf, a geographer in the College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences at Oregon State University, and Fatima Taha, an OSU graduate student fromSudan currently studying international cooperation among the Nile basin countries.”
- May 19th: Walk for Water: The CSCA-Gondar Council will host the event from 8:30-1pm. Registration/check in 8:30am. Walk begins 8:30am. Benton County Fairgrounds Floral Garden. Tickets available on line and in person the day of the event. More info: http://sistercities.corvallis.or.us/gondar/
- May 19th: Mayors Proclamation: At the Walk for Water Mayor Biff Traber will issue a proclamation that officially recognizes the month of May as Corvallis Sister Cites Month celebrating the relationships between Corvallis, Oregon, Uzhorrod, Ukraine, and Gondar Ethiopia.
- May 21st: Uzhorrod Dinner: The Corvallis Sister Cities Association – Uzhhorod Council will host a traditional Ukrainian dinner on Monday, May 21. Council members who recently returned from Uzhhorod will share their experiences. This is a great opportunity to gather with friends and family for a comforting and delicious Transcarpathian/Ukrainian meal catered by Novak’s Hungarian Restaurant. Monday, May 21, 6 to 8 p.m. First United Methodist Church 1165 NW Monroe Ave., Corvallis More info: http://sistercities.corvallis.or.us/uzhhorod/uzhhorod-calendar/