Books for Gondar (Ethiopia) Campaign
Why this Appeal?
Teachers and educational leaders in Gondar have expressed a desire for creating a culture of readers by exposing their students to the written word. We wish to support their request by collaborating with two of our partners. We think this holiday season is the best time for giving. So please join us in donating.
Open Hearts Big Dreams (https://openheartsbigdreams.org/ ) prints and distributes bilingual early readers (see below, left) to different school libraries throughout Ethiopia. Based on funds raised through “Books for Gondar”, we’d like to purchase as many books as we can. Together We Learn (https://twlethiopia.org/), our sister city partner in Gondar, will distribute these books to local school libraries.
Anytime is a time for giving.
Can you join us today and make a donation?
By Mail: CSCA-Gondar, P.O. Box 424, Corvallis, Oregon 97339
On-line by clicking on the donation button below
The NEED is great for books in Ethiopia.
Did You Know…
1) Poverty can be reduced by 12% or more if all students in low-income countries like Ethiopia, were able to read. (Together We Learn-Ethiopia)
2) One additional year of schooling – making it to Grade 8 instead of dropping out in Grade 7 – can increase an individual’s earning potential by 10-15%. (Education for All Global Monitoring Report, UNESCO 2013)
3) Learning to read in the first years of primary school is critical for retention and success in future grades.(Together We Learn-Ethiopia)
4) Providing school uniforms reduces school absenteeism by 44% and increases the chance of secondary school completion by 12% (Wydick, Glewwe and Rutledge 2013 and Evans, Kremer and Ngatia 2009)
5) Each extra year of schooling a girl has means she is less likely to be affected by child marriage, will choose to have children later, and that those children will be healthier. (Girls Education, The Facts, UNESCO, 2013
6) Only 1 in 4 children have a book at home apart from their school’s textbooks.(Together We Learn-Ethiopia)